Saturday, March 11, 2006

New York ! New York !



Hello is anybody there?
hiatus for reason unknown. Just been very busy. Came back after a week in New York . 4 days of work 3 days of slacking. The weather was beautiful and my hotel was the Marriott at the Times Square and I had a fabulous time. Also it has been almost 2 years since I have travelled entirely on my own. The last time was when I went to Venice for a conference and travelled around Italy - the husband man had come along but had to leave a few days early. So I did bits of Venice , Milan and Rome on my own. It was quite lovely.

I love New York. Its big and brash and loud and scary but it fills your senses. It makes you feel very young, like everything is possible all over again-despite the frightening metro system and crush of people. And I love African American accents - that slightly kind, slightly wise, slightly liting, this time around I met a lot of them but it was that odd 2 second encounter with an old guy with rasta hair, collecting money for a shelter in the village "thank you my darling , god bless you" with such ... easy confidence?!

I just love walking around and stumbling into places and I stumbled into this restaurant called Kelly and Ping inside a huge old place in Soho - Asian, selling noodles and vietnamese coffeee with the yummiest cookies I ever had , a quarter each. THis sudden sense of being transported some where else? Other than New york? But why would I want that... no its just the immigrant recreation of the memory of another place, but chic and the rather cut Mr. Ping in a T shirt that said "eat more rice"

I did a tasting tour of little Italy...3 hours walk inand out of food shops and restos and pasta making places... yummy. Totally worth the 40$.

Got on the bus outside the Guggenheim and had 2 dollars for thetickets in notes, the driver in toronto would have thrown me out, but the NY driver asked sit and look for the money, and 2 lovely tattoed NY city girls gave me 8 quarters to pay for the ticket after I had foiund that I did not have any.

Watched the Producers, all by myself, but felt perfectly at home. I am guessing braodway shows were the original inspiration for hindi movies? Mel Brooks and bollywood should get together!

The city's got heart.
ciao.
Comments:
Hey glad to see you back! I thought backlash on the Mittal post had sent you into hiding :-P

(Btw you seem to be getting spam comments. Why not turn on word verification?)

Cheers
Aparna
 
I SOOO WANNA GO TO nu yaark.
I wanna stand on one of them skyscrapers and look down on the earth.
I wanna go to times square and stay awake for 24 hours just to see a person from every country.
I wanna go to the bronx and see the life there, if its really the way they say it is.
I want to see the phonebooth is which 'Phonebooth' was shot and I wanna see central perk and central park.
I wanna look at the statue of liberty.
I wanna do a 100 things. I just wanna go there. I'll stop now :p
 
first time on your blog and its about NY, so i know i am going to be a regular :), made me miss the city though... i used to go there every other weekend. looks like you had a lovely time!
 
You horrible type person you. HOW DARE YOU GO ON SUCH TRIPS AND THEN , horror of horrors, BLOG ABOUT IT??? Have you no conscience? Does it not prick?

Erm. Which is to say, I'm also (still) here.
 
ha, long time no see. but isn't ny a blast?
 
hi, just lke Bidi-K, first time at your blog. Strangely got directed here from kobiguru Kobindronath's blog. Loved your NY post and now in desperate desire to reach the big apple and experience it for myself. Oh well with time, and money....one day!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?