Wednesday, November 16, 2005

On language


I have been reading random blogs about how people relate to language - em and Thalassa and even rimi. And I have been thinking about it too. Every time I go back to Kolkata I notice huge changes - one of the big changes I noticed is how casually people slip in Hindi in the conversation. Mind you, I am a probaashi Bengali too and grew up in places like Lucknow and Bombay and Hyderabad and Dad spent his formative years in Allahabad - each of which have their own take on the language - Kolkaata I moved to for college - dad was in between transfers and I stayed with my grand mom, in North Calcutta (yes! and I think South Calcutta pride is ridiculous too) - studying in Presi was a huge ... I won't say culture shock but culture shift - certainly. I loved the exaggerated Bengaliness of the people - how it was not considered polite to speak in English in Public places like buses or even stores, unless they were "Marwari" or "nonbengali" stores.

I happen to be ridiculously well read in bengali - complete works of Bankimchandra at 9 anyone?-taught to read by my thamma in the summer vacations, since I was a toddler. I was a book not a worm but a baby bookpython. I read the Chheleder Ramayan at 6 and remember sobbing away at the fate of Sita and hating Ram - the gormless hero. And why chheleder I ask you. Graduating to Sarat Chandra and eventually Tagore, with passionate flings with Sukanto and Jibonanando Das along the way. Shakti Chattopadhyay too but, that was timepass I think.
My summer holidays are remembered by the books I read, Robinson Crusoe in Class 4, Pride and Prejudice in class 5. There was this lovely book called Banglaar Dakaat. And Syed Mujtaba oh Stop!OK can I mention Anandamela, way, better than Target!

Bengali kids have the privilege of reading fiction written by the finest writers in the language. Worlds away from the babyfied, age specific vocabulary, of most children's fiction. I do not know of any other Indian language that has such a strong tradition in Children's fiction. One of my favorites is Shirshendu's Jheeler Dhaarey Baari - and he is such a pessimist in his adult avatar.

My thamma was the principal of a school in the hills and there are beautiful memories of quaint wooden bunglows with flowers - shiuli phool and gandharaj and huge dahlias asbig as your head, and reading in the garden. And later after she retired, moving to a baagan baari in a little village closer to Kolkata. It was a fantasy retirement, which my grandparents enjoyed hugely for about 10 years - before old age and CPM goons forced them out to the evil city, where they exiat as shells of their former selves, stripped of dignity by decrepitude and alzheimers.

So anyway Bangla is special to me in a very unique way. At Presi, none of the girls I knew read Bangla. Loreto house and La Marts students, very incestuous, everyone knows everybody who are somebodies in a very Kolkata kind of way. Fascinating. All very Bengali.

So it was either English (BBC, not CNN) with friends and Bengali with non friends or parents of friends. Speaking English in the wrong place was just not done. And what, Bengali teen agers speak Hindi now! Shiva Shiva! That's a Southie thing by the way. NOt to mention that I saw kids preparing for a Bollywood dance competition-at Presi. Promode da goes - bujhlay na .... aaj kaal ja hochhey!

I guess the notion that speaking unmixed Bengali is a sign of good manners is a stiff pretension that is disappearing along with much else. But hey, you have malls and money instead and its all good and I am over the hill. Let me tell you in my days....cackle cackle!

I never write rambling blogs like this.... feel free to criticise.

Bhaalo theko, shobaai.
Comments:
Very beautiful. And yes, Bankimchandra at 9 is hard to beat, I was almost 15 when I finished the complete set of Bankim Rachanabali. But hey, I was doing Tolstoy at 9, so no fair :).

Shotti, none of your Presi friends was well read in Bangla? That's such a revelation to me, given that my parents always fed me stories about how all Bengali kids were oh so well-read in Bangla, especially in Cal.
 
First off - Hail fellow Presidencian, well met!

That done - it is odd indeed. The language shift, that is. And its particularly odd coming from me - my knowledge of Bangla is elementary at best, and laughable at worst. Yet, even I have associated Calcutta with Bengaliness - not anymore. Hindi has taken a grip on the city. And even though Hindi is a language I am much more comfortable in, it somehow feels wrong to speak Hindi in Calcutta.

And Swati - for more hilarious stories regarding me and Bangla, please contact Urmi, the teller of tales. Maybe I'll even do a post on them. And you actually thought I was Kobi Thakur!
 
G-o-d! You are a multi-lingual, compulsive, book worm! ;)
 
ki braggart tumi!
:)
 
TM: Anna karenina at 12 was interesting. True, I had some very erudite friends a few who have gone on to literary careers, but I really didn't meet any Enlish medium types who read bangla. Shotti!

heil G9:Welcome. I agree I agree...so are you one of the Kolkata types who did not read bangla? See thalassa!!!!

Gangadhar: yes indeed. Grammar school...Abids...banjara hills...DRDO I know the place before it became cyberabad, though. Had a great time. There was this awesome veg restaurant near a crafts store...

CP: welocome back long time no fries! :) modestly blushes, yes I was a prodigy, but I aspired to frivolity all my life ... almost there ;)

Teleute: yes but are you impressed????????????? waaaaaaaaa its not working :)

Just bong pride, li'l one!
 
OK since Teleute has shamed me, I will tell the truth - I STARTED the complete works at 9 not finished it!
 
Why do I have this sudden sense of being highly underpreviledge after reading ur post boo..hooo, by 9 all I had read were Indrajal comics, amar chitra katha and Tinkle not even Chandama which had less pictures...but man there ain't no episodes of Phantom and Mandrake that I missed, not to mention Tintin and Asterix. Hated marvel though..too dark and from there I directly graduated to Shidney Sheldon and Harrold Robins by jumping over Enid Blyton ;-) .... so by 11 when i went to boarding school, i knew all the dark little secrets of birds and bees
 
very incestuous, everyone knows everybody who are somebodies in a very Kolkata kind of way.

this is one of my pet theories too. i expound at every chance i get :)

and Bankim Rachanaboli at 9 is a little difficult *goggles a bit*, but I was reading bibhutibhushan bandyopadhay, so it's ok. incidentally, does anyone read him anymore???
 
ei prothombar ekhaane elaam- khub bhaalo laglo. ekdik diye dekhle ei je aamra kolkatay loker hindi bola niye dukkho korchhi eta ke hoyto shonkirnota mone hote pare, kintu jei kolkatai thekechhe shei bujhhte paarbe je byapaarta ta noy- aashole kolkaatar aatta bole jodi kicchu theke thake tahole taar bohiprokaash ghotechhe bhaashagoto shokiyotaar moddhe diye- kolkaatar oitijjhyo, songoshkriti, ohongkaar- shobi taar bhaasha- se jeno sohorer bataasher porote porote joriye aachhe. Othocho taar jonne kolkaata konodin o banglabhaashider heyo koreni- baddhyo koreni bangla shikhte, jatiboyshommyer shikaar koreni taader (jemon dhoro dokkhin bharote hoye thaake), othocho kolkataai amaar obangali bondhu bandhobder moddhe pray shobai-i porishkar bangla bolte parto. kaajei shei shohore jokhon dekhi lokjon bangla bhule bombai marka hindite kotha barta bolte beshi shacchondo onubhob korchhe, tokhon, khub nyakamo kore bolte gele, kothai jeno ekta mochod diye othe. jakge, onek prolaap boklaam, apatoto eeti tancchi. kokhono shomoy hole amaar deray haajir hoyo.
 
Rimi: debi choudhuraani is one of hell of a story and jugalanguryo(?) is as sweet as love stories get. Aar ek baar porey dekho, heavy laagbey.

Anthony, I loved Mandrake and Phantom, and we know who the first lady Diana is ;)

kaashyapaya: aapnaar deraye ami gechhi, aar aamaar blog e aapnaakey dekhey bhaalo laaglo. Aapnaar boktobbo tow jakay boley - bilkul sahi hai :) maaney ekkey baare amaar praaner kothaa gulo koilen aar ki - amaar cheye onek bishudhho bhaashaaye. Bangla pori botey, kintu likhtey hoy ni kokhono. Abaar aashben.
 
but nothing beats indira! i LOVE that golpo. i read it at twelve though - not nine.
 
Bertolucci's Last Tango in Paris script at age 5. Nobody, but nobody can beat that. (Damnit, it even had pictures!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?