Friday, November 11, 2005

Born into brothels


I watched “born into the brothels last night, on TV. I would like to exclude the angle of - third world poverty exploitation – glorification of the white savior issue, and focus on how it felt. May be poor Indians will only find a voice in white run media – middle class Indian media has divorced themselves and retreated to Neverland.

Most of all it seemed so utterly familiar – college street after all is a few steps away from Haarkaata goli.

And how heartbreakingly familiar the children were, how normal. If they were interviewed for a news channel and asked about their views on something random, like Durga puja – they would sound like any normal lower/middle class kid in Bengali medium school. That is the one thing that strikes me about street kids – how bright they all seem to be. There was this kid who sold newspapers at Worli naaka. He had asked me for a lift in the car one rainy afternoon, in Dadar. I don’t think he expected me to say yes. And he told me an elaborate, articulate, self important story about how he goes to school and takes care of his sisters. He was 8 or 9 and I knew he was lying. And that was heartbreaking too. But I respected him.

When people use big words and NGO jargon and talk about child rights and what not – we often forget how smart and good kids nice are left to fend for themselves in our streets. And if you see the North American kids - whiny, moronic, dissatisfied, slutty looking – the unfairness of life seems like a fresh new insight.

Its important to see one's own world from a fresh new angle. Get out of the comfort zone.
It wasn’t a depressing movie – watch it.
Comments:
I think I would like to watch it...after I prepare myself mentally. This issue is very close to my heart. No I am not doing anything about it. Last thing I did was burst into tears while examining a kid in the ER who had a similar experience. So unprofessional...I know.
 
hi sinus?:)must look up the meaning?

it was a very easy watch - in the sense that, it had pace and flow and not wallowing in misery at all. Its the matter of factness that gets to you actually -
 
hey gypsynan. i read the post, and i do agree with it. its true that all this talk of exploitation of poverty misses the fact that indians do precious little to address these problems.

but then i read the second to last paragraph, and i was more than just a bit shocked. WHINY, MORONIC, DISSATISFIED, SLUTTY LOOKING FROM THE TIME THEY ARE 10!!!

isn't that just a wee bit judgemental?
 
reciprocated ;-), do link my regular one too..That will soon be converted into a part of my main blog here
 
And that was streetsmart for you. I would love to watch that if I can get hold of the CD. Hahaha, you know what we have so many problems. Just too many. Sometimes I start to feel so helpless, so frustrated. You only need to imagine how bad the condition some children are in..And then there are the vultures are waiting to pounch on them.. But we will only remain silent watcher and rave and rant sometimes in our blogs. Maybe someday, someday when I have solved my own problems.... Right?
 
Yeah I know... its just that I have seen too many of these kids - OK white kids who are so incredibly rude- and the parents kind of shrug helplessly and say "teens you know" - OK white kids mostly - I mean I know its extremely judgemental - delete it? or let it be - but seriously, last time we were parked in front of a school in Cal and watching kids streaming out, waiting for a niece actually, and both my husband man and I said "they look so different from kids in Canada or US" Its positively scary to watch a random group of kids here, whereas in India kidslook very scrubbed and brght and eager - OK now I have both legs in my mouth - teen culture here is primarily nihilitic, everythng sucks- whiledesi kids are still basically optimistic-off topic...
 
like a rolling stone.

Visited this blog after ages and as usual I love the way it makes me think!

I remember reading an arguement about 'born in the brothel' and i didn't hear the side about the white saviour actually coming to the rescue. Its a nice way of looking at it. Although a bit de-moralising, if they help the people who need help, who are we to condemn them for it. Maybe it might even wake Calcutta up, shake it around so that it comes into focus.
 
ironically, the film got an oscar (didn't it?) but it isn't allowed especially to be screened in calcutta. if i come across a vcd, i'm sure to watch it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?