Monday, October 24, 2005

My awesome trip - 1

I have had one of the most awesome trips in my life. We landed in Delhi at 9 and took the flight to Jammu next morning. Jammu to Udhampur was a 2 hour drive – through the hills – with the Indus(?) river meandering below us, a thin shining, gleaming thread -reminds me of the . Jammu was a typical small town, chaotic traffic, unplanned growth, rubbish dumps, little streams turned into open sewage drains, against a back drop of the mountains and groves of coniferous trees and balmy weather to die for. The chaos of small town India is a charming reminder of our unity in diversity – from Kashmir to Kanyakumari we are a mess. Home sweet home!

Home now is a lovely bungalow, hidden among the curvy mountain roads, set against a forest of sweet and sharp smelling pine trees. Flowers in the front and pumpkins at the back. Dad and mom looking older, a little more tired each time, which is always a shock, I remember them as the dashing young couple of my childhood.

Lovely Kashmiri furniture all over. The hand carving is magnificent in detail, with the cheap shiny finish. I appreciate these things more now I guess – too heavy to ship here, but also a little old fashioned in their design and finish. I want to open a home stuff manufacturing unit – using Indian craftsmen and a fusion of modern design and finish.

A day later we drive back to Jammu, in really bad traffic. Overnight at an inspection bungalow and then flight to Leh.

As soon as the plane touches down, you know you are “somewhere else”. A bleak, brown and gray valley, surrounded by equally brown mountain ranges. Its cold and you start gasping for breath after the short walk carrying your hand luggage to the terminus. It’s the lack of oxygen – welcome to Ladakh!
(Pix road to Udhampur / View of Jammu)
Comments:
Amazing pictures. Wish I was there.
 
Very nice landscape shots. Looks like a swell time!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?