Sunday, September 18, 2005

Of Chinese girls and Indian men!

I recently interviewed and hired a Chinese girl who has just completed her MBA from a leading B school here. What she said at the interview and later was really interesting. I asked her the usual questions. She had worked in a management position in Shanghai for a few years before doing her MBA here. I asked her why she did not want to go back given that the economy is booming. And she basically talked of sexual harassment and general discrimination against women.

Apparently she headed a team of engineers and when she went for meetings, the clients refused to talk to her because she was young. She also mentioned how most Chinese men expected some favours in return for a business deal. She got a little indignant and red faced as she described it. There is of course no coercion, but you know how it goes...


She was really articulate and bright and spoke great English with a near perfect upper class American accent. Elegantly put together. However, I realised that she is perhaps a hard working lower middle class, small town girl, ambitious, high achiever. Very similar to many Indian success stories these days. Its a bit scary to think that they are going to churn out kids like that by the hundreds of thousands in a few years time. Indians had better watch out. I am serious. Especially considering that I am part of that fast growing Indian diaspora - consultant/management types. I know what I am talking about.


Anyway, she also mentioned that she had to bribe the doctors to treat her dad when he was seriously ill. She said "you can start a major business in China now in a few days, and all the govt. people will help you, but if you are an ordinary person with ordinary problems, you have to be ver, very lucky". I gathered she was the only daughter (as is usual in China) and has to take care of both parents. But then she also tried to pull some B school bull shit. I asked her how her math was considering that she studies English at college and she said "well you know we Chinese and Indians are good at Math". Which annoyed me, don't pull that BS on me sistah! Of course I knew that having passed near the top of her class at Rotman she couldn't be completely bad, but that was the wrong answer. I mean we are not all good at math, its just that the bad at math are eliminated along the line.


More importantly, I found her description of sexual discrimination surprising - and not. Once at an exploratory interview for a position in Seoul, I was warned about Korean men - I passed on the offer. Its just that you never hear of Asian men harassing women on the roads, and Asian women dress American, while the harassment on Indian streets is absolutely the worst in the world. I have not been to Saudi but I guess we are on par or better - if that makes anyone feel better. And yet Asian women are supposed to face huge discrimination in the corporate world. Especially in highly developed Japan.

I have worked in India and have friends who do and this has never been an issue. I am sure it happens, if you are a helpless lower echelon type in a family business, but not at the corporate level - not much at least. Indian women are tough, no nonsense and extremely successful. How is that? Is it that the men we work with and study with are all a different group than the unemployed and angry mobs in the streets? Or do Indian men just misbehave with strangers? The latter can not be true as my favourite men/best friends in the world ARE Indian men. I would NEVER tell some foreigner that Indian men I know are bad(as opposed to those I don't know on the streets, who are), the way many Asian women casually talk about their men. This girl also told me this, "Chinese men are especially mean to the girls because the government tells them not to, so its almost like asserting their independence" . Ah that sounds familar, thwarted masculinity finding redemption in dominating women. That I can relate to, as can all women. Even the American women's rights are threatened these days, with a serious Christian initiative to pretty much ban abortions- and the fiasco over the morning after pill. OK that was a rambling post! What’s your perspective? Do I have a rosy picture of urban India that I left many years back and still miss? Or Indian guys we know are really the best?
Comments:
I think you have a rosy picture of India. Happens to almost everyone not living here. There are good Indian men, and there are awfully rotten Indian men. Depending upon one's luck, one may run into either kind.
 
isn't it irritating how this girl would come and tell you about her countries woes?
She's applying for a job, not giving a sociology/geography lesson.
She is bright and clever etc etc, but come on, pulling a line like that? People take shit like this every single day. You want to work, well welcome to the real world.
Take humanitarian action, file lawsuits but for f***'s sake don't go whining about it when you have to apply for a job... what does she want, a sympathy job?
 
country's
 
Hi there,
Sphinx , you are right. It struck me as odd as well how she brought up boh sexual disparity and family story in an interview. However this was 2 minutes out of a 45 minute interview. I quickly changed the topic. I got the feeling that as I am Indian, she thought she could generate some solidarity - she did not, because that has not been my professional experience in India.
The rest I gathered, as we occasionally walk back from office, and yes, Asian people talk more of family stuff than Americans I guess. Plus I am curious about China.

Anurag: don't quite agree, India does have more women in senior corporate positions than most Asian countries. The glass ceiling is way higher where it exists at all. The proportion of women in B schools in India is similar to American B schools as well.
 
Oh, and welcome to you both :)
 
'just that the bad at math are eliminated along the line.'

They're not... really. I got through 3 years of engineering calculus (or something) with a calculator and a prayer... and I haven't a clue about math.



Well... you saw the Kalyug post.. :)

http://banthehyphen.blogspot.com/2005/09/kalyug-ii-lifetime-in-day.html
 
uff... pulling the sympathy card is just sooo very lame.

hey you!
 
well, im no fan of the average indian man, but i think theyre far ahead of other asian men as far as dealing with the womenfolk goes. and if you thought the chinese were bad, you HAVE to meet the japanese men. eeeksss!!!
 
Pray, tell me how indian men are better than its asian counterparts?

And lets not get into stereo-typing here. The indian man can go as bad as bad can get and vice versa. Its just a matter of how our perspective of things are.
My point is simple. You want to work in a global economy then you're gonna have to meet all types of people. There are gonna be the complete assholes, pervs and lechs and basically people who will make your working life a living nightmare. However, There are good folks as well. People who'll look out for you, people who'll give you advice, and if you're lucky, you may even find a godfather.
You just have to make the best of the circumstances.
 
as far as experience goes, women do tend to talk about men in a casually incriminating way, and before you jump at my jugular, let me add that they do so with good reason.

my work experience is very limited, and even then they're occassional theatre and other 'cultural' projects, and i've been treated fairly fair always, he he he, but even there, i've noted the "this-is-serious-affair-women-
stay-out" attitude. mostly it's a "sparing them the trouble, it'll be too much for them" chivalrous attitude, which makes it worse, don't you know...

and c'mon, most of us have played the sympathy card sometime or the other *guilty grin*
 
Hmm...well gypsy I guess that some people do behave differently with strangers than with people they know...after all isn't that where that famous Indian 'maa behen nahi hai kya?'query originated from?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I guess there are good and bad people everywhere: would be myopic to generalize.
Indian men, I have to confess, are the best, though. Look at me: can you find anyone better? Anywhere in the world?
Feeling over-modest these days, I must say. ;)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I dunno, I think most educated men behave properly with women. The rest have archaic, medieval views, and are best left alone.

I agree that Indian men behave better than the Oriental ones. I've heard some interesting 'stories' of the complex heirarchy system in Chinese and Japanese professional culture. They attach huge importance to age and experience. They also expect 'favours' as was mentioned before.

Compared to China or Japan, even with a shit-obsessed work-culture, India still rocks!
 
Hi Vishnu: this one time, in Tunisia, I met this really Japanese guy ;) But I know I hear awful stories about Japanese society, mostly from Americans, but I also had a friend who worked in Tokyo and he said theye are really nice and friendly, so go figure!

Rubbersoul: yes, I was always got very religious around report card time!

Rimi: is that your eye? To each her own I guess....;)

Aparna: you are right! Hypocrisy

Sphinx: C'mon, when Indian men are good they are purty good! :)

hello spud: you lookin' good on that couch, I must admit!

kanti: welcome, pours Chianti:) I know, I am pretty lame!
 
Why lame? I don't remember calling you that or implying it anywhere.
 
K: nothing to do with you. Just the chianti comment! :)
 
Background and character develops in somebody due to a host of factors like parents, education, surroundings, economy, and few others. Each can affect all of us in varying degrees and weightage. I wish if all of us take each person as he/she is rather than look at him with all the baggage he is carrying. The baggage could be of different types, color and size.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?