Saturday, August 20, 2005

Singing the body electric...


Too tired to blog. Office politics run my life. But here are a few treats for you, gentle reader...

My magnificent ass
Hides behind me like
A shy child clinging to its mother
It is a barnacle on a ship
Unwilling to be pried off with will or force
It is my own version of a Kentucky waterfall
Business in front, party in the rear
Unfortunately, the party is getting rowdy
And I think there may be a wrestling match going on back there.
But no chair is too hard
No bench too uncomfortable
For this super-convenient, ultra-soft, über-padded rear
Perhaps God is trying to tell me something?
Pass the remote.

T. Fenniak, Edmonton, Canada

I have always been

Tall and thin
Thanks to good ol' Dad
I once had a body of
Enviable perfection
To the gym 6 days a week I went
With a soul full of sad
But now I've found the pleasures of a beer
And food
Sleeping in rather than 8 a.m. cardioS
hared with a great guy
And two dogs
So cheers to less muscular perfection
A body which is no longer so tightly cut
It has finally grown enough room
For a soul full of glee
Just do it.
-- Karen, Atlanta, Ga.


My hair is gray upon my head
(for that is where it grows)and yet,
the TV surgeon said,

I still could fix my nose,
Botox the wrinkles from my brow

and plump my thinning lips
(both on my face and down below)
and lipo tum and hips.

'Twould send my self-esteem sky high,
he said,
to have this look.
I cut myself a piece of pie
and went back to my book.
-- Katha Pollitt, New York, N.Y.


And finally this lovely little haiku

Chicken of the spring
I am not,
sadly,
these days
Ab reduced to flab
-- David Norland, Los Angeles


These are all poems based on the body and more may be found at We sing the body electric in Salon, inspired by the new series of Nike ads(read the article here), which made my eyes pop, And the photo above is just a photo of my favourite body part, taken off the net. Have a good week people!

Comments:
Great poems! Am beginning to wish I had a more cushiony ass! ;)
 
keep sitting on that couch and you will, buddy ;)
 
:lol: Am forced to get up these days, though!
 
I wanted a distraction but didn't have the patience to read the poems:-) The picture of the feet creeped me out of my mind like a fungus growing on an anthrax infection. I know I am sans appreciation but I am sure you understand one of those days...

I still like your blog:-)
 
You weren't kidding when you said treat.

;-)
 
Great stuff... reminded me of my last encounter with a gym....
 
nice :-)
 
sinusoidally: if sandy toes remind you of fungus, you need a vacation in the carribean, doc :)At least read the last little one, its good for the neo cortex!

August: would I kid you! Never!

Rubbersoul: we are celebrating ungymmed curves here :)

Teleute: hey there!
 
Every once in a while the thought of hitting the gym pops up in my mind. After reading this, methinks I have put that demon to rest forever.
 
Oh, and the nike women website is absolutely fantastic.
 
interestting pic,that!
 
lol..!

no chair is too hard
no bench too uncomfortable

laterally apt lines for our polititians and software pros respectively !! ;)

thanks for dropping by my blog.. enjoyed your blog :)
 
well, actually... my last encounter with a gym was...well.... not quite what you might imagine.

well here it is anyway....

http://banthehyphen.blogspot.com/2005/08/beer-and-ice-cream.html
 
lot of this stuff sounds familiar!
 
Abeer: Glad you enjoyed the links, I loved the swimmer woman with the shoulder.

Samudra: Welcome! You like feet?

Ram: Welcome. Glad you liked my blog.

Rubbersoul: I actually read that one previously!

Sunshine woman: Yes, doesn't it. i loved that they are so funny and honest, and the very fact that it celebrates a physicality, shocks people and then there is the double shock at the funny take on flawed physicality! Both edgy but terribly familiar - I love the duality.
 
Lol...cool stuff :-)

Hey, Shravani asked to pass on a message. She wants you to send her your mail id.

Cheers!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?